Apr 28, 2011

How sweet it is. . .


I've written a lot about my son, and about my disorders, but I haven't written much about my husband. Caleb and I have known each other for seventeen years, (I am 32yrs old and he is 31) have been a couple for over twelve years, and married for almost nine. We met in high school and were friends, but didn't start dating until a few years after we graduated.
I am so grateful for my husband. He knows me better than anyone in this world and loves me anyway;) Caleb has been loyal, supportive, honest, and loving. He is an amazing father - Logan adores him. They have an amazing connection that you only get when you have a bond like the one they share. As a family we have been through things people don't "normally" deal with in life. My first major surgery, brain surgery, was on Logan's second birthday. Since then I have had three major surgeries on my skull, spine, and spinal cord. Most young families are worried about childcare, college funds, or which car to buy. We were flying to NY to have brain surgery, trying to navigate through medical bills, and permanent nerve damage. At the same time I was so sick it was hard for me to take care of myself, let alone care for Caleb and our home. He has seen me lying in hospital beds in misery and he has been there on my very best days, but through it all he has loved me.
He takes care of me - not just financially or physically, but he is strong when I need strength, he is behind me when I need support, and he listens when I need a friend. He is funny and silly, but most of all he makes me happy. I probably don't show him enough appreciation, I hope he doesn't ever feel taken for granted. I feel lucky to have a husband that I can love with, laugh with, parent with and grow old with. . . no marriage is perfect, no marriage is amazing all the time, but to be able to trust and depend on each other has never wavered.
Once, the summer before he graduated high school, I told him "you're going to make some lucky girl a wonderful husband one day." Little did I know I would be that lucky girl:) Little did I know just how lucky I would be to have him.

No comments:

Post a Comment