May 26, 2011

Summertime, and the livin's easy



Less than two weeks until Logan is done with second grade and our summer can begin! Summer has always meant time with my dad/uncle, swimming and boating everyday, lots of time on trails with family/friends and dogs, and long days of sunshine. I LOVE summer!! These are the memories I hold closest to my heart... the moments when my cousin and I were kids and our dads were home full time, we'd spend all day swimming, tubing, playing outside til the sun went down. We'd pretend we were surfers and stand at the very front of the boat with our arms balancing us as we tried to stay standing. We still play together on our lake, now there are bigger toys, and Logan is the little boy trying to surf at the front of the boat.
My dad turned 73 years old this year. He is active, vibrant, and ornery - which I am very thankful for because I cannot imagine my life without my father. The term "daddy's little girl" doesn't quite cover our relationship. He is my daddy, my friend, my advice giver, and resident worrier. My dad takes Logan and I to FL once a year for a great beach trip. We spend every second together, relaxing, playing on the beach, eating yummy food, and truly enjoying each others company. It makes my heart glow to think of all the memories Logan has made with my dad, who he calls GiGi.
Gigi and Logan have had many adventures together, but for the past few years one of their favorite things has been tubing. Gigi drives the boat, pulling Logan all over the lake until he gives up and is ready float in the warm water. They have so much fun together - all day water gun fights, playing catch, or just being silly. Our summer days together are my favorite.
Summer and sunshine make me smile, they make my body move easier and my head pressure lower. I love summer for its long days, warm waters, big BBQs, concerts under a starry sky, but most of all for the memories we make together. I realize my dad won't be here forever, and Logan will grow up someday, so this year I'm not going to take a single moment for granted. If you want to find me, I'll be in my bikini, floating in the lake with my family and friends - hard limeade in one hand and throwing my dog's ball with the other:)

No comments:

Post a Comment