Jun 14, 2011

Ten Things Tuesday

Recently I have been reading several other blogs on a regular basis. One of the regular posts I always enjoy is 'Ten Things Tuesday', so I decided to give it a try myself. I hope you enjoy. . .

This is my very first Ten Things Tuesday list so, instead of picking one topic to write about, I'm going to tell you ten things you may or may not know about me.
1. Some of my favorite things are: chocolate, snuggling with my son to watch a movie, my pooch, potatoes, diet coke, green tea, my lake, my family, swimming in the summer sun, my friends, being crafty, tie dyeing, live music, yummy food, reading a good book, camping, hiking trails, and laughing as much as possible.
2. Our pooch, Gordon, is a BIG part of our family life. After our German Shepherd died, I found Gordon at a local Humane Society. He was just a puppy, the last of his litter, and was scheduled to go to a rescue group the very afternoon I adopted him. A little, white pup with tan spots on his right shoulder, and ear - he was adorable. I was just six weeks post-op from spinal cord detether/discectomy, so my uncle drove Logan and I to get Gordon. Of course we all fell in love with him at first sight, and he has been spoiled rotten from that moment on. You will see him in my posts, he travels with us a lot, boats with us always, and is generally in the middle of whatever we're doing. He has been an amazing addition to our family, and I encourage everyone to adopt or rescue a dog instead of buying one from a pet store or breeder.
3. I love to watch cartoons with Logan! I love all the Marvel movies - Ironman, Hulk, X-men, all of them. We spend more time than we should watching cartoons and movies, but it is something for us to enjoy together even on my worst days. I don't think it has be harmful to him, but it isn't something that I think is good for him either. Right now we are watching the Avatar series, its a great if you haven't seen it, and we both really like this time we spend together being lazy on the couch.
4. About a year ago a friend talked me into reading the Twilight series. . . I had said I would never read this series of books, but once I started the first one I was hooked! Some of my other favorite books are: Harry Potter series, books by Emily Giffin, Meditation as Medicine, The Host. If you have any recommendations please let me know - I'm always looking for a good read, especially in the summer.
5. All the artwork in our house is either framed Logan art, or framed concert posters. When my husband and I travel it is often to see live music, generally Phish. We have started a collection of signed, numbered concert artwork and love displaying it in our home. I also love showing off Logan's artistic ability by framing his artwork - I'm getting ready to frame his second grade artwork and using it to decorate our bedroom. I also am working on a wall of black and white photos of our grandparents and great-grandparents. I am trying to surround myself with things that have meaning in my life and let go of the rest.
6. Good music is something that brings a smile to my face. I enjoy most types of music, and honestly feel that music makes the soundtrack to our lives . . . how many memories of yours are connected to a song, or album. My childhood was accompanied by the Beach Boys, Neil Diamond, Buddy Holly, and many of the 'golden oldies'. During my early teen years I listened to Elvis, Bon Jovi, Snoop Dog, Counting Crows, Led Zeppelin, Bob Marley . . . until I found the Grateful Dead. At that point I found a whole new world of music: Jerry Garcia, Miles Davie, Davis Grisman, The Band, CCR, Buddy Guy, Clapton, and so many other artists the list could go on forever. Now that I'm all grown up I still enjoy a lot of the same music, but have added Jack Johnson, Talking Heads, Phish, Adele, Nora Jones, Jonny Cash. After my first Phish show I was hooked! The music, the light show, the energy of the crowd, and the people watching. Now we try to see them a couple times a year and we listen to great music everyday - Logan loves music, and he has grown up listening to all types: blues, jazz, jam, classical, oldies, rock. Music makes up the soundtrack to our lives - what does yours sound like?
7. I'm a pretty crafty girl. I like to scrapbook, photography, make mosaics, sew, tie dye, or anything else that sounds fun to create. I've made blankets for many of my friends babies, each one designed special for each baby, and for a dinosaur blanket for Logan. I love to design something and then create it! My most recent creations have been hand dyeing scarves - they are tie dyed technically, but not with lots of colors, just different shades of one color. It has been so much fun to draw a design for a scarf and then actually have it in my hands hours later! We will see what happens with my scarves - I'm in the process of starting an ETSY page, but need have a wholesale source, and a business name first. I'm thinking, Threads To Dye For. What do you think?
8. I don't know about you, but I've turned into a bit of a reality TV junky. The Real Housewives shows and the Kardashian's array of shows are my favorites. I'm the first to admit it is mindless, pointless TV, but sometimes that's exactly what I need.
9. I would probably be classified as 'all natural'. . . I don't wear makeup, trendy clothes, or high heel shoes. Don't get me wrong - I think other woman look good in all of those things, its just not for me. I like to be comfortable, and wear things that make me feel good, whats "in" doesn't really concern me. I'm not saying I'm a 'natural beauty' or anything, but I am comfortable in my own skin.
10. This blog has gone from a little way for me to write down a few of my thoughts and feelings, to something that I look forward to writing. I'm trying to write everyday, and I hope you enjoy what I have to say. Those of you that know me know that I am extremely extroverted and would talk to just about anyone about anything. So, I am going to set the goal of writing a post everyday, and hopefully you all won't get bored by what I have to say!

Well, that's it. My very first Ten on Tuesday blog! Hope you enjoyed finding our a little more about me. . . Next week I'll try to be a little less self-absorbed and find a topic that isn't based solely on myself;)
Have a great day, and, as usual, I hope you can find a reason to smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment