Jun 8, 2011

The teachers let the monkeys out!


Summer break is finally here and Logan is all mine once again! We're going to swim, play, read, and have adventures together. I truly appreciate that in years to come, not far from now, he won't be interested in spending his summer days hanging out with his mom. It is a gift and a curse all at once to be so aware of the fact that some of my favorite moments in time are growing fewer and fewer. . . my time with my dad is SO precious to me, and my time with my son while he is still my little boy, before life has touched him with bills, worry, or responsibilities. I am in the middle of some of the best times in my life and I just don't want it to change.
I understand that there are joys with every age: the joy of watching your baby grow into someone that contributes to the world, the pride in seeing person you helped create mature into a loving, intelligent adult, the freedom to concentrate on myself, the ability to spend more time to my husband and I would never overlook the love of grandchildren. Unfortunately, those things don't seem to outweigh the fact that right now I can walk into Logan's room at night just to see his face, or snuggle up with him at any moment. I can call my dad any day of the week to meet him for lunch, call him at any time to ask for advice, or just go hang out with him because I want to. I can't work, I have friends, but my relationships with my husband, son, mother, and father are definitely the closest to my heart.
Don't make the mistake of thinking I have no interests beyond my son and my parents . . . just last weekend my husband, several friends, and I took a roadtrip to see Phish play two nights in a row. I love to spend time with my husband, we have date nights, take trips together and spend a lot of time hanging out as a family. I have amazing friends I love and depend on. There are many things I am interested in including reading, crafts, boating, travel, music, but all of those are secondary to my love of being a mother and my love for my family. I will always find a way to pass the time, but its hard to believe anything will compare to right now.
This is a summer I will hold close to my heart, this is a time I will always remember - my son is with me all the time and making memories with my dad he will have for the rest of his life. My father is seventy-three years old, Logan's other grandparents are all in their fifties. . . yes, if you do the math my mom is fourteen years younger than my dad;) Logan is old enough to remember these adventures with my dad - I have memories of my time with my grandfather Beem, when I was a little younger than Logan, and they are memories that I cherish to this day. So, it means more to me than most to be able to give that to Logan - time with his grandfather while he's healthy and able to just play.
I hope you have something in your life that makes you appreciate the moment you're in. I hope you have someone you love to spend your time with making memories to hold close to your heart forever! Have a great day, and remember to find a reason to smile:)

No comments:

Post a Comment