Jun 22, 2011

Ten Things Tuesday: Authors Logan and I like to read

It may sound strange to include my eight year old son's favorite authors in the same group as mine, but it in Logan's case it isn't. The end of the year testing for second grade showed his reading level as MUCH higher than his grade level, and frankly, he reads as well as me. Also, I wasn't what you would call a 'reader' before Logan. . . I read to him nightly from birth, but by the time he was four we were reading books like The Chronicles of Narnia. So, for these two reasons, my ten things Tuesday list of authors will include authors I enjoy, authors Logan loves, and authors we have read together.
These are in no particular order:

1. J.K. Rowling - Harry Potter series. Logan and I read this series together over a year when he was seven. We fell in love with the world she created and these books are what finally gave me a love for reading! Child, teen, or adult, this series of books is amazing! PS. Don't judge the boooks by the movies, they're much better.

2. Rick Riordan - Percy Jackson series, Kane Chronicles series, and Lost Hero. This is one of Logan's favorite authors! He read all the Percy Jackson series last summer over two weeks, and it was hard to get him to put them down.

3. Chris Cleave - Little Bee and Incendiary. These are intense stories, but well written and beautiful. When I bought Little Bee I had no idea what to expect, and although it wasn't a light, easy read, it is a really good one. I am looking forward to reading the next book from this author.

4. Emily Giffin - Something Borrowed, Something Blue, Baby Proof, Love the One Your With, Heart of the Matter. This is one of my favorite 'chick lit' authors. When I'm looking for an easy, entertaining read this is the perfect author.

5. C.S. Lewis - The Chronicles of Narnia, series and several other titles. I have not read any of his work beyond Narnia, but these books are amazing! Logan and I read them for one of our bedtime stories when he was four and it sparked a love for reading in him. This is also a series my husband read as a child.

6. Stephanie Meyer - Twilight Series and The Host. This is a stay-at-home mother that had a dream about vampires and wolves, wrote it down, and ended up having four best-selling books published. All of her books are wonderful! The way she writes makes it hard to put down, but the books are eight-hundred pages so I had to put it down more than I liked. Again, please don't judge these books by their movies - the books are MUCH better.

7. Dalai Lama - he has authored many books, but the one I would like to mention is How to Practice: The Way to a Meaningful Life. This is an awesome book, touching on Buddhism, and focusing on just being a good person, appreciating life, living in the moment, etc. I think everyone should read this book.

8. Cornelia Funke - Dragon Rider, Inkheart, Inkspell, Inkdeath, Reckless, and several others. This author is thought of as an author for young adults, but the magical worlds she creates are entertaining to any age. Her stories carry you away on adventures to a place where books come to life, and children have the power to save the day. Right now Logan is reading Dragon Rider and loves her style of writing. This is another good author for fun, entertaining bedtime stories.

9. Carl Hiaasen - Skinny Dip, Strip Tease, Lucky You, Tourist Season, and several more titles written for adults in the satirical mystery genre. He also writes youth mysteries - Hoot, Scat, and Flush. All his books take place in Florida or off the coast, and really make you feel like you're right there with the characters.

10. Christopher Paolini - The Inheritance series. This is the series of books Logan and I are currently reading together. We are reading Eragon now, and it is a very good read. . . this author weaves a detailed world that draws you in and makes you want to root for the lead character. So far we have really enjoyed the story!

Well, that's my list! There are other authors we enjoy, but these are our favorites. If you haven't read some of these authors you should find them next time you head to the library. If you have any great author recommendations for Logan or myself please leave a comment or email. . . I am looking for a good summer read now and Logan is looking for a good book every other week!

No comments:

Post a Comment